Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New York Salt Initiative Leaves Me Feeling Salty.



New York has always been on the forefront of food laws and change. The McDonalds in NYC were the first to add calories counts on all of their products. Something that left most of us fast food lovers cringing. 


I know it's for the best, and every American should know what they are putting into their bodies. But frankly, I'm not going to McDonalds to count calories, or 'watch what I eat', I'm going there to stuff my face with greasy food and salty french fries. 


Yes, French Fries. And this leads us to Mayor Bloomberg's new initiative, the "National Salt Reduction Initiative". According to sources, New York wants you to reduce your salt intake and has partnered with 16 companies and restaurants who have agreed to reduce salt in their products by 25% over the next 5 years. 

"According to New York’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Americans get 80 percent of their salt intake from packaged foods and restaurants in the form of preservatives. Adding salt yourself only accounts for about 1 percent of salt consumption. About nine percent comes from sodium that occurs naturally in food. Health organizations recommend about 1500 to 2400 milligrams of salt per day per healthy adult.


Reducing salt intake has been shown to help reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes; city officials say that as many as 23,000 New Yorkers could reduce their risks of dying from those problems.

Officials promise that the reduction will be gradual--and that New Yorkers won’t even notice the difference." 

Some of the restaurants that are part of this initiative and pledged gradual decrease --



  • Starbucks
  • Heinz
  • Au Bon Pain
  • Subway
  • Boars Head 
  • Goya
I'm all for every American's right to eat as much crap as they want. I'm a big fan of junk food and I don't think that there should be restrictions on personal choice. However, I have to agree that decreasing salt in some restaurants and companies is a good idea. 


The initiative is voluntary so needless to say McDonalds and my other favorite food establishments (ahem-chicken joes) won't be taking part. Thank God. But for establishments like Subway and Starbucks, and companies like Goya and Boars Head I think it might not be such a bad gradual change.

Why not? If you start out with less salt, you can always add more. This is why, when the initiative takes a hit, and I'm left with less delicious/salty foods, I'll just bring my own salt everywhere I go and add it to my dish as I wish. Take that Bloomberg, you can't stop my salt intake. 

5 comments:

Janet Ferreira said...

That's a great post. I didn't know about that. But, I honestly think its a good idea. A lot of people don't know what they put into their bodies, and they don't care to know but health issues have risen over the years. So, I think reducing the salt may help Americans. Food is just covered with salt these days.

MC C.B. said...

I think its time for new york to understand that human beings should have the option to decided on what they want to eat. Salt does not kill you, too much salt does. If your bugged by the amount of salt, don't eat out all the time.

I think its criminal to tell people what they can't and eat. Seems UN-American.

brian.donnelly said...

Damn those salty foods. They're so tasty and delicious and awesomely horrible for me. I just love it so much. I actually know someone who carries a salt shaker around with him, so Lauren, you won't be the only one.

The Movie Slut said...

Yes, BYOS might be the next fad. However, as someone who eats more than her fair share of movie popcorn, I have to say that something must be done about salt overload. Sometimes it's so salty my tongue feels like it's about to burn off and then I see a fellow movie-goer pouring additional salt on his popcorn.
My point is that you get used to a certain level of saltiness and you can get used to — and enjoy — a lower level, too.
Re. your post. I'm still laughing. Very well done.

Colleen said...

People who love salt are going to keep eating salt; unless of course they want to start eating healthier. If food gets less saltier, people will add more if they want. I think people just need to make smarter choices and decisions about how much food or (salt) they put into their bodies.